Do you know what to do if you’re driving in Covina and suddenly find your temperature warning light on? What does it mean when your car overheats? There are several reasons why a car would overheat, and many of them require immediate attention and the assistance of a service department. Mercedes-Benz of West Covina is here to help you know what to do when a car overheats.
What Causes a Car to Overheat?
Are you asking, “Why is my car overheating?” while steam pours out of the hood in La Puenta? That’s never a good feeling, but the answer is usually pretty straightforward. These are the various reasons a car would overheat:
- Leaking Cooling System
- Coolant Hose Blockage
- Improper Coolant Mixture
- Radiator Issues
- Broken Water Pump
What to Do When a Car Overheats
Now that you know what causes a car to overheat, here’s what to do when a car overheats in Glendora:
- Turn off the air conditioner, stop immediately, and turn the heat on full blast to remove heat from the engine block.
- When it’s safe to do so, pull over and turn off your car. Wait at least 30 minutes to pop the hood to avoid burns.
- Call Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance. Our service technicians will be able to answer, “Why is my car overheating?” and assist you in getting your vehicle into a certified service center.
It’s also important to know what not to do when a car overheats:
- Don’t panic! You can’t find out what causes a car to overheat if you’re not thinking clearly.
- Don’t keep driving! Pull over to a safe spot. You can cause permanent damage if you continue driving.
- Don’t immediately open the hood! Wait 30 minutes for it to cool down to prevent burn injuries.
- Don’t remove the radiator cap! Let a professional remove the radiator cap.
- Don’t drive after your car has cooled down! It’s much safer to have it towed.
- Even if you know what to do when a car overheats, don’t try to fix it yourself unless you’re a mechanic.
Learn More About Car Maintenance with Mercedes-Benz of West Covina
What does it mean when a car overheats? Now you can answer that question and more! An educated driver is a safe driver. Learn more service and parts tips and tricks with Mercedes-Benz of West Covina, and contact our service techs online if you have any additional questions to ask.